Wednesday, October 9, 2013

Tough Time in the Yoga Room

For the first time, I had to sit out a couple of postures (well, actually a posture and a half) in yoga class the other day.  I don't know what was different;  maybe I didn't drink enough water.  It could also have been the bath I took the night before that had epsom salts and baking soda in it.  After a bath like that, it's important to drink a lot of water, so I am back to the not enough hydration theory.  Either way, the experience was something that I don't care to repeat.  

It's terrible to feel as though you are going to pass out in a room that is 104 degrees with 40% humidity.  It was more than feeling as though I would pass out;  I just felt plain sick.  In fact, I could barely sit down, let alone stand.  I really just wanted to ball myself up on my mat.  I didn't even know how I was going to drive home or would be able to stand to take a shower.  Luckily, the second half of the class is the "floor series", which means that the class is doing a lot of lying on the floor.  The floor series is still pretty tough, but easier to fake it a bit in the postures, if you know what I mean.  In any case, I was feeling considerably better by the end of class, if a little nervous that it would happen again.  Luckily, I have taken the class two times since then and have been perfectly fine.  In fact, in the last class I felt a bit less sweaty than usual, and I didn't feel as tired afterwards.  However, I made sure to drink lots of water during the day prior to the class.  It seems to be a good system. 

No comments:

Post a Comment