Saturday, October 5, 2013

It's Getting Cooler

I am glad that I ran this morning, when it was still a bit warmer.  After a 90 degree day yesterday, we are now down in the low 60s, with rain and clouds making it feel colder (at least to me).  This morning the temperature was still in the low 70s, and felt warmer with the sun.  In fact, I wore shorts with a long sleeved shirt and kind of regretted it as I was sweating more than I really wanted to.  In a way, though, I like to sweat because it feels cleansing to me, and it makes me feel that I am working hard.

Ever since I got my new Garmin earlier this summer, I've obviously been more aware of my running times.  This is a good thing, but I can feel that I am putting pressure on myself to increase my times.  It's also been making me feel as if I am not 'developing' as a runner.  Now, I don't know if it's really all that important that I develop myself as a runner, or if it's enough just to be running regularly.  In fact, I have been running longer distances during the last year, 7, 8, and 10 miles, instead of just running the 5 miles that  I have been running for the last 16 years.  That in itself could be considered 'development'.  To be honest, feeling this pressure has resulted in me feeling less joy about running.  I will have to decide whether I want to continue to put pressure on myself to improve, or just enjoy the run.  

No comments:

Post a Comment