Sunday, July 21, 2013

Rain Running

I have to admit that it's fair to describe me as a fair weather runner, although I truly think that it's because I live in Texas.  When I say fair weather, I mean that I don't usually run if it is too cold or too rainy.  It's easy to be a fair weather runner in my part of Texas, because the weather is pretty nice year-round, and cold and/or rainy days are relatively rare.  Of course, what I've just said only applies if you like hot weather, as I do.  If I lived somewhere colder, I'd probably be much hardier in terms of running in the cold.

  It has been unseasonably rainy here for about a week now, and I can only take so much.  I finally decided that it was time to run, rain be damned.  Besides, it looked pretty good when I started my run.    

The more that I don't run, the harder it is to get out there and do it, and it had been the better part of a week.  I ended up running 8 miles.  The amazing thing was that I didn't even want to run, but I told myself I would do 7 or 8, thinking for sure that it would be 7 given my initial lack of desire.  When I reached the halfway point for 7 miles when I'd ordinarily turn back, I kept going, both surprising and delighting myself.  Then, I started down the path for my 10 mile point, and I said to myself-I'm going to do it!  Two things stopped me.  One, it had started raining.  Two, there was a couple at the start of the 10 mile turnoff who were engaging in a rather intimate kiss.  I figured that I had two signs for turning back, so I humored fate.  Soon, however, I began to wish I had turned back earlier because it started to thunder rather loudly, there was lightning, and it started raining harder.  I started to wonder what my chances were of getting struck by lightning and how long it would be before someone found me lying in the street.  I wondered if my decision to run that day would ultimately be my undoing-my swan song, as it were.  Luckily, it didn't come to that.  

No comments:

Post a Comment