Saturday, August 10, 2013

I Thought There Was a Cold Front Coming In

In Texas in the summer, it is hot.  I know that I've said that before, but it bears repeating.  It may not be like some places that regularly record temperatures of 120 degrees Farenheit or more, but we regularly get temperatures of over 100 degrees in the summer.  This week there was supposed to be a cold front, which means that it was going to be in the 90s.  I was excited about this because I hadn't run in several days.  Running last week in the high temps, plus continuing fatigue from the previous week's vacation in a different time zone, meant that I needed to take a break for a few days.  Even though it was still very hot today (the cold front didn't come after all), I wanted (needed) to run. 

While the run was not a disaster by any means, it was a disappointment.  I ran 7 miles.  I planned to do one of my "medium" runs, which means that I would run either 7 or 8 miles.  I have been running one medium run and one "long" run, meaning 10 miles, on the weekends.  In addition to this I run at least one "short" run, meaning 5 miles, during the week.  However, in the major heat of the summer I have been settling for two medium runs during the weekends, and one or two short runs during the week.

What I like to do is run 8 or 10 miles on Saturday and 7 miles on Sunday.  That way, I am sure to get the longer run in and I feel like I can relax, at least comparatively speaking.  Even when I tell myself I'll only run 7, I usually end up running 8.  Today, I was feeling so hot and I knew that I would suffer a lot if I stayed out for 8.  Even though I was glad that I ran at all, I was left with a feeling of dissatisfaction.  I'll feel bad if I don't run 8 miles tomorrow.


No comments:

Post a Comment