Sunday, September 15, 2013

Thoughts of Marathons

Even though I have a running blog and consider myself an avid runner, I don't necessarily consider myself a runner with a capital R.  I mean, I don't run dozens of races every year.  I don't make my living as a runner.  I don't run 50 miles per week (right now).  However, in my circles I guess that I am considered to be a Runner inasmuch as I probably run more than anyone else that most of the people I know know personally (got that?).  What I am trying to say is that I get a lot of comments about running.  For example, a vendor I work with told me about her son who is training to run a half-marathon, and asked me if I was training for anything right now.  My brother-in-law made a comment (jokingly, but not entirely so) that I run ten miles a day.  My mother-in-law is incredulous (jokingly, but not entirely so) that I am not in the I.C.U. due to all of the running I do.  I've been admonished by a work colleague (not jokingly at all) not to ask him to run any more races because he has gotten too injured from previous ones.  In short, when a lot of people think of me, running is what comes to mind.

I wonder if I exaggerate my running, causing others to do so as well.  I don't think so.  I'm truthful about every mile I run.  However, all of the comments make me want to step up my game, and live up to the expectations that I feel as a result of hearing them.  

Since December I have trained for four half-marathons, and have run three (I bailed on one at the last minute due to a business trip and really cold and windy weather).  The summer was hot, as I may have mentioned.  I was trained out.  However, at my last half-marathon, the San Diego Rock and Roll, I signed up for next year's marathon.  It was a decision made in the excitement of the moment.  Anyone who has been at an expo the day before a race can probably relate.  I regretted it afterwards, but reasoned that I paid a relatively small price and still had a while to think about it.

I am also about to have a birthday.  It's not one of the major milestone birthdays, but I have decided to divide my life in half at it.  If I am somewhat lucky this will be the second half of my life.  Most of my relatives did not live as long as I hope to live, but I take pretty good care of myself (I run, after all) so I think I have a shot.  Accordingly, I should make some plans for the second half.  I've already made a start. 

The 2014 San Diego Marathon will be my next full marathon.

No comments:

Post a Comment